Mull and its islands have been continually inhabited since they became environments able to support man after the Ice Age. C. 6500 – 3500 BC. Mesolithic hunter-gatherers lived in caves such as Livingston’s cave on Ulva.
A broch is an Iron Age drystone hollow-walled structure found only in Scotland and not particularly well represented in Argyll. However there are 2 brochs on the Isle of Mull, Dun Nan Gall and An Sean Chaisteal.
The Macquarie Mausoleum is located at Gruline and is the burial place of Major General Lachlan Macquarie of Ulva (1761 – 1824), the first Governor of New South Wales and ‘father of Australia’. The mausoleum is owned by the National Trust for Australia and is cared for by the National Trust for Scotland.
The Old Byre Heritage Centre
The Old Byre is a Heritage Centre in the beautiful Glen Bellart close to the picturesque village of Dervaig on the Isle of Mull. The Old Byre is a must for anyone who would like to absorb the history of Mull in an effortless ‘armchair’ manner! With two amazing videos –
There are six castles on the Isle of Mull: Duart Castle, Torosay Castle, Glengorm Castle, Moy Castle, Dun Ara Castle and Aros Castle. All very different, but are set in the most stunning of locations.
Moy Castle stands on a low rock platform at the head of Loch Buie and was built in the 15th century by Hector MacLean, brother of Maclean of Duart and the founder of the re-named MacLaines of Lochbuie who made it their home. www.lochbuie.com
Glengorm Castle overlooks the Atlantic and has views out to the Outer Hebrides and Islands of Uist, Rum and Canna. The Castle was built in 1860 and sits at the headland of Glengorm’s vast area of coastline, forestry, lochs and hills. www.glengormcastle.co,uk
Aros Castle is thought to have been built by one of the MacDougall Lords of Lorn in the 13th century. Once the major stronghold of the Lords of the Isles, first comes on record in the later 14th century when it was in the possession of the Lords of the Isles. www.castleuk.net
Dun Ara Castle
Dun Ara Castle is located on the Glengorm estate near Tobermory. It occupies the summit of a prominent rocky outcrop. The ascent is easy from the south-east side and the castle’s foundations are clearly visible. www.mull-historical-society.co.uk
The oldest inhabited castle on Mull, home to the 28th Chief of Clan Maclean. Visit state rooms in the 13th century keep, take a journey back through the ages in the exhibition of clan history, see the prisoners in the dungeons and climb to the top of the keep for spectacular views. www.duartcastle.com
Torosay Castle is a Victorian ‘Scottish baronial’ mansion designed by architect David Bryce in 1856 and completed in 1858 for John Campbell, replacing Achnacroish House. It was sold to Arbuthnot Charles Guthrie in 1865. www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk
A visit to the Isle of Mull would not be complete without a trip to the Bronze Age Lochbuie Standing Stone Circle. This is Mull’s only Stone Circle but there are many more sets of Standing Stones on the island, some accessible by car but many are hidden deep in the forest and can only be accessed on foot.
There are three stones in Dervaig’s newer cemetery, aligned approximately NNW-SSE, the most northern of which is now included in the dry stone wall. It is suggested that these stones are not being treated as well as their kin just up the hill at Cnoc Fada!
The Quinish stones are a row of four stones only one of which now remains upright. The standing stone is 9’2″ high. Close by are 2 fallen stones with an almost concealed fourth pillar. Reports suggest there was a fifth stone, now gone.
Lochbuie Stone Circle
This is a beautifully situated and well preserved stone circle located near the shores of Loch Buie and overlooked by Ben Buie. The circle was originally nine granite stones, set in a ring about 12 metres in diameter, with the tallest stone be Kilmore. www.lochbuie.com
The Kilmore or Cnoc Fada Standing Stones can be found in a clearing in trees at the South end of Cnoc Fada, just 230m North-west of the road from Dervaig to Tobermory. There is a small car park at the top of the hill.
The Maol Mor linear setting of four standing stones can be found in a clearing in forestry on the level top of the broad ridge of Maol Mor, and immediately to the South of the isolated rocky summit.